I’ve seen lots of posts about how people hated 2015, or about their resolutions for 2016, but I’ve only seen one post that I like.
Make a list of things that make you happy. Then make a list of things you do every day. Compare the lists and adjust.
And I love that. It’s such a better idea than a resolution. To me, a resolution is telling yourself that you have to live up to a certain standard. That you have to be a certain way. It almost feels like you are telling yourself you aren’t good enough. As if you need fixing. But this way seems like you are working toward joy.
So I guess my joy list is something like this
- Art- I love art, but I don’t usually give myself the time to do something so frivolous
- Being strong- I love knowing that my body is capable of greatness. I love surprising others with that greatness. Gym, here I come!
- Robby. We spend lots of time together, which is fabulous, but I really want to work on just enjoying the moment with him.
- Education- I love to learn. I really do, and always have, so I want to learn things this year. Whether that means learning a skill, going to a museum, or reading a book, I want to learn things.
- Nature- I love everything to do with nature, and I want to spend more time in it. Plants, animals, the great outdoors, I want to enjoy it all.
And I guess that’s it. Those are the things I want to focus on in 2016.
What about you?